Kitchen

Monday, January 28, 2013

French Onion Soup


All winter, with all of the rainy, cloudy, and sometimes snowy weather, I have been craving something warm and hearty to cuddle up with.  And since I don't have a boyfriend, I decided French onion soup was the next best thing. And after I made it, I decided it was better than a boyfriend! This soup has so much flavor, you won't even know what hit you. I intended to create this recipe months ago when I bought too many onions...but I was lazy...and I used them all up before I had the chance.  So when onions went on sale at the grocery store, I was determined to make some french onion soup. Obviously, I wanted to make this on the healthy(ish) side--and it's just so easy to go overboard with the ooey gooey cheese and crouton topping. So, to make this rich soup a measly 116 calories per cup (without the topping) I used low sodium broth (I bought Fit & Active), reduced the butter, and used red wine for low-fat flavor.  For the topping I grated a small amount of brie and low fat grated parmesan onto a half piece of toasted honey wheat bread.  Each serving in those cute little crocks totals up to about 179 calories!

Ingredients for soup:
5 cups sliced onions (yellow and vidalia)
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
2/3 cup red wine
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp worcestershire
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
5 cups beef broth (made from 3 beef bouillon cubes)
1 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt/pepper to taste

Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.  Add sliced onions and cook for 5 minutes.  Stir in minced garlic and half of the red wine and cook for around an hour, or until the onions and caramelized and the liquid has become a syrup.  Stir in thyme, worcestershire, brown sugar, and other half of the red wine.  Cook an additional 10 minutes.  Slowly add in beef and chicken broths.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20-25 minutes.  Stir in balsamic vinegar.  Keep hot until ready to top with crouton.

Ingredients for topping:
6 slices of honey wheat bread (sliced in half)
2 oz of brie
6 Tbsp grated parmesan (reduced fat)

Toast both sides of the bread under the broiler.  Ladle soup into crocks, keeping an inch free at the top.  Place slices of toasted bread on top of soup.  Evenly grate brie and parmesan to top the bread.  Place crocks under the broiler for 5 minutes, or until bubbly.  Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment